The new NTSA smart digital driving licenses was rolled out in April 2018. The technology used by the new NTSA smart digital driving license will encourage good driving habits and reduce the cost of motor vehicle insurance. This new technology will also enable NTSA have a centralized database which can be used for profiling driver behaviour on the road.
How long does it take to get the smart digital driving license in kenya?
After successful application, your smart digital driving license will be ready for collection in 5 working days.
How much does it cost to get the new smart digital driving license in kenya?
The new smart DL costs Ksh 3,050 and is renewable after three years.
Read Also: How To Renew Driving License Online In Kenya
Things to look out for in the new smart Driving license
- These licenses are fitted with a chip which holds drivers’ information such as offenses committed on the road.
- The cards have 100 points and points are deducted when traffic offenses are committed. If the driver reaches less than 40 points due to traffic offenses they risk having their driving licenses suspended temporarily or confiscated for good.
- Your car’s number plate, your log book details among others will be integrated, and authorities will be able to access these details for various purposes.
- You will be able to pay fines imposed on you with the new smart DL.
- Potential employers will be able access your driving records before you get employed.
- Your driving profile will determine the premiums you pay. Good drivers will enjoy lower premiums as compared to those who have been caught committing traffic offenses.
Smart Digital Driving License Online Application step by step
- Login to NTSA TIMS website. If you don’t have an account don’t worry, get an account by registering.
- Click on the register link which will direct you to the Register An Account page shown above.
- Click on the Individuals option.
- You will be prompted to input your ID Serial No. Be careful not to input your ID Number as what is required is the Serial Number. If you have replaced your ID within the last two years you will have to use your old ID Card’s serial number. (In case the system rejects any of your details you are advised to visit NTSA offices)
- Add your KRA PIN Number.
- Add your Mother’s Maiden Name.
- Add your Occupation and Phone Number.
- Request a verification code by clicking on the button next to the phone number.
- Input the code you receive on your phone in the verification tab to complete the verification process.
- You are now registered on the TIMS platform.
Now that you have an account , head back to the home page and Sign In.
- Once you have changed your password, click on the “driving license” menu and select “Apply for smart DL”.
- You will be charged KES 3,050 and once you have completed the payment and it is processed, you will book an appointment with the NTSA
- At the NTSA offices, your details will be confirmed, a passport photo of you and your fingerprints be captured
- After you have applied, your digital driving license will be ready for collection in 5 working days or more
Note that NTSA is encouraging those who are renewing there driving license at the moment to apply for the new smart digital driving licence. If your current driving license does not expire soon, you are allowed to use it until it expires before upgrading to the new smart digital driving license.